Friday, March 18, 2011

WE MADE IT TO INDIA


This will be short post as I need to get everybody to bed. Right now it is 1:30 a.m. India time on Friday. We left Portland on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 12:40 p.m. After a 3 hr layover in Amsterdam we took the connecting flight to Delhi. We have discovered that our boys get motion sickness REALLY bad when on a plane for more than about 4 hours. The trip home will be quite fun. We have not slept since Wednesday morning at 5:30 a.m. so we are exhausted. The boys slept a total of 45 minutes TOTAL! Tomorrow is recovery day. Our wonderful friend, Uma, picked us up at the airport and brought us to his home. It was so fun to see a familiar face and friend waiting for us in India. We are so thankful for his families hospitality! Stay tuned. Alesha Day is May 19th!!!!!

I want to add that I have never experienced security to this level in an airport before Amsterdam.  I experienced my first pat down and witnessed an "aggressive pat down of a lady next to me"  They did it right out in the open for all to watch and I was a bit shocked.  I also had a problem with my carry-on luggage not going through the scanner without a hitch.  After they unloaded the ENTIRE bag and rifled through it they determined after several more tries that one of the file folders I had paperwork in within a document file case had a metal bar on the bottom of it and it kept setting off the alarm.  It was quite the ordeal, but I finally got the all-clear and managed to get everything packed back up and we were off to board the LONG flight to Delhi.  Another thing I found weird was that the restroom stalls in Amsterdam were floor to ceiling.  It was as if you walked into a clothes closet and shut the door. The privacy was nice, but it was weird all at the same time.
Martin exhausted and sick from the flight to Amersterdam.  We are all dreading the LONG flight ahead of us to Delhi.
At least for this photo he wasn't in the fetal position.  I felt horrible for him.  Luke, did a bit better, but was still sick to his stomach.  The boys did great on their very first flight to Arizona back in 2006 so I thought they would do great flying.  I found out very quickly that distance changes EVERYTHING!

6 comments:

Julie & Patrick said...

Relieved to hear you made it...now let the fun parts begin. Continue to travel safe and enjoy every minute!

Julie R

Kristi W. said...

Yay! You're there!!!! I'll be praying for good sleep and healing from the motion sickness. :) Can't wait to hear all about Alesha Day!

Kristi W.

Laura said...

Wonderful that you are there!! Did you try Dramamine? If it doesn't cure the motion sickness, it will at least knock them out!! Hugs to you!
Laura

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

with your boys... I get car sick myself. Aren't I a fun companion to travel with! Ha!! I was looped up on Advil PM and dramamine for the flights. :)

Enjoy your time with your friends! Can't wait to hear about your Gotcha Day!

Peter and Nancy said...

Oh man! I'm sorry to hear they felt so crummy. Bring on the Dramamine for the ride home . . . Can't wait to hear about your adventures, and about Alesha day! We will pray for all your transportation on the trip. :o)
Nancy

Emily said...

We're all thinking of you and sending you safe travel wishes!! Keep us posted and enjoy every moment! Hugs, Emily