Sunday, August 15, 2010

Scabies, Staph, and Strep, OH MY!

Just a little update on Alesha's health issues. I took her in Friday for her follow-up appt. with the dermatologist. She took some more scrapings from Alesha's skin to test for scabies. Praise the Lord, the results were negative!!! What a relief. I cannot tell you how excited I was to hear this news. As far as her skin is concerned we are now dealing with eczema issues. We have a regimen of prescription creams and other creams to get a handle on it.

As far as the strep and staph infections are concerned we are not our of the woods yet. After the last 10 day round of antibiotics I thought we had finally fixed the problem. I had gotten all of the scabs off of her scalp and the bumps seemed to be virtually gone. Give it a couple days and the weeping began again. I couldn't believe my eyes. Within the 2 days before her appt. I knew we were in trouble. Sure enough the staph and strep are BACK! The doctor told me that they rate strep and staph on a 1 to 4 scale on how severe the infections are. She then said that Alesha's results came back with a 4+ rating for both strep and staph!!!!! I was SHOCKED to say the least!!! Apparently I wasn't the only one. The doctor and pharmacists were VERY surprised to see that number so high in both issues. I had to laugh when the pharmacist said "well it looks like your little girl is an over achiever" I guess that is one way to look at it :-) The dermatologist said that the antibiotic was working, but because it was so severe we didn't get to the bottom of the infection. We are now on round 3 of antibiotics for 21 days. If it is not completely gone by then we need to extend it another week. We also have a shampoo to help with the healing process.

I am thankful that we were able to start the antibiotics before the infection was way out of control. I can't believe how quickly (within a 24 hour period) we can go for her scalp looking fairly good, to oozing yellow. It is amazing! The doctor said that her glands in her neck were not as swollen as before, which is a good sign.

So I have made my weekly trip to the pharmacy to add to my arsenal of meds and we continue with the new plan to get our baby girl well. I am feeling more optimistic at this point and am SO thankful for doctors, insurance, and a sweet little girl who a strong fighter. She continues to laugh and smile even though all of this is happening in her little body. Praying for complete healing to come our way soon.

8 comments:

The Labontes said...

Unbelievable how persistent these infections are. I'm sorry you are still struggling with it, but hopefully the end is in sight, and at least one problem is gone :)

Hope you are enjoying a weekend of activities with wonderful folks!
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Pfeiffer Family:Continuing to pray for your sweet girl! She has been such a brave strong girl!
Leveta

jasonliberty said...

So sorry you are still dealing with this. Praying for you!!

Liberty

Peter and Nancy said...

Yikes -- over-acheiver is right! Thank God you have diligent medical staff who are not pooh-poohing the situation. We are praying that your sweet, brave girl heals quickly.

I keep thinking that it's SO providential that you have her home and can monitor the situation as only a mama can. The baby home staff was wonderful, but nothing beats the one-on-one attention and care that you're able to give her, especially all the personal comfort that the ayahs just can't give because they're taking care of multiple babies.

Hang in there, April -- the end is in sight!
Nancy

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

Oh, poor little muffin! We will be sure to continue praying for her! So sorry that you are battling with this. Big hugs coming your way!

Hugs and prayers!
Maggie

Emily said...

I am SO relieved to hear the scabies are gone! What a relief! Now to get the infection cleared up. Your Alesha is such a brave fighter! Thinking of you, and sending healing thoughts and energy. Emily :)

Julie & Patrick said...

In spite of all the infections, she is cute as a button and you guys are doing great with her! This will all be behind you in less than a month...hooray for that!!

Julie

theheartofachild said...

So glad she is home so she can get all the care and medicine she needs! You are all in my prayers!
Jenny