Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Memories

Today marks 17 years since my dad passed away from cancer. I can't believe it has been that long. I think about him all the time. There will be a song on the radio, somebody says something that brings back a memory, I see my brother (who looks so much like my dad), hear a guitar (my dad spent hours playing his guitar), or hear a joke he used to tell. There are so many moments, events, celebrations, etc. that he has not been a part of over the years. This makes me sad. I remember his laugh, smile, how little kids just brightened his world. How I wish he were still here to experience all his grandchildren.

I am thankful that my dad accepted Christ as his Savior 5 days before he died. After years of prayer my dad finally surrendered and is now in heaven with his Savior. I am blessed to know that I will see my dad again one day. Until then I will hold him close to my heart. I love you dad and miss you very much!

2 comments:

Julie & Patrick said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Even 17 years later. I can relate so much to this post, as my mom passed away 5 years ago (this Dec) from cancer also. I, too, feel her presence in the little things that surround us in our daily life, and have a deep understanding of your true feelings of sadness, especially about not knowing their wonderful grandchildren.

Hugs,
Julie

Peter and Nancy said...

It's sometimes such a surprise to me when memories of my mom's parents flood back at the strangest times -- when my husband is being really funny and sassy, I think, "My Grandpa would've LOVED Peter." It is amazing to hear that he put his faith in Christ toward the very end of his life -- you have quite a reunion to look forward to.
Nancy