Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Indian Food Recipes

One of my blogging friends suggested that I post the recipes for the Indian dinner I made for my husband on Father's day, so here you go :-)

Chicken Tikka Masala

3 chicken breasts
4 T olive oil
5 Cardamon Pods
1 Cinnamon Stick
1-1/2 onion
1 t fresh giner minced
2 t garlic minced
1 t cumin powder
1 t coriander powder
1/4 t turmeric powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 T paprika
1t garam masala
1 large tomatoe
5 fl oz water
salt

Cut chicken breasts into cubes - salt cubes and set aside
Dice onion - cut tomatoes - set aside
Put oil in pan- heat oil and add cinnamon stick and pods and remove after 1 minute (leaving oil in pan)
Add onions and cook until brown
Add water and mix in all spices along with ginger and garlic
Add tomatoes and stir and mix well
Add chicken and cook 10-12 minutes and then simmer until chicken is cooked through
Add salt to taste

Jeera Alu (Spicy New Potatoes ) - I got this recipe from my blogging friend Pam

2 16 oz cans whole new potatoes
2 T canola oil
1/2 t cumin seeds
1/4 t turmeric
1 t salt
1 T coriander powder
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 t garam masala
1/2 mango powder (optional) I don't use this because I am allergic to mangoes.

Drain and rinse potatoes. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
Heat oil in heavy pan on medium heat.
Add cumin seeds and cook until golden brown
Add potatoes and stir to coat.
Add all spices and stir to combine
Reduce heat and fry 15-20 minutes

Naan Bread - My families FAVORITE!!!

1t yeast (I use quick-rise yeast)
3 C white bread flour (don't use all-purpose flour it doesn't turn out..I found out the hard way)
2 T canola oil
4 T low fat yogurt
1 t honey
1 t salt
Garlic seasoning if you like garlic
3/4 C warm water

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Make 8 small balls and flatten them a bit.
Place the balls on wax paper and cover. Let rise for 20 minutes.
Press balls out flat into thin round circles. Place in oven on broil until brown on one side and then flip over to brown the other side.

4 comments:

ColleenC said...

Thank you! You've inspired me to give it a try! Well, at least the Naan bread because we looooove it! I ate it about 3 times a day when we were there!!

Traci said...

Oooohhhh!So glad you posted this. Thank you! - Traci G.

The Labontes said...

I'm printing off the recipes - thank you!
Kristy

Peter and Nancy said...

Thanks for posting these!! I'm happy to find a naan recipe without eggs -- my oldest son is allergic to them.

Can't wait to get cooking!
-- Nancy