Sunday, August 28, 2011

VOODOO Doughnut

My husband and I have heard of Voodoo Doughnut for many years since we have lived just outside of Portland our entire life, but we have never gone there.  It was when we were out one day that we had a fleeting thought of, we should check out Voodoo Doughnut.  The problem, we didn't even know where it was.  Our friends from Germany who had been living here for a couple years had been there several times, so I thought why not call them and find out where it was located.  It was at the moment we looked at each other and just laughed.  How ridiculous for us to call our friends who are from Germany to ask them where a local Portland icon was located.  We simply could not bring ourselves to do it.

At the end of July after skyping with our German friends, who are now back in Germany, we decided it was high time we took the plunge and find out what was SO great about Voodoo Doughnut.  We packed the kids in the car and headed downtown.  We found a parking spot in a lot nearby and crossed the street and made our way to the end of the long line that stood before us.  Thankfully it was a nice morning and a man was playing some good music on the street corner.  After about 1 1/2 we finally arrived hot, tired and had a cranky little girl at this point at the doorway of the longed for donut shop. I joked with the girl standing in line with us that after this long a wait I will be leaving with a dozen donuts not just a couple :-)  She told me that she was there earlier in the morning and the line was over twice as long as it was right now.  She decided to eat her breakfast and people watch until the line slimmed down before she found her place in line.  Apparently there is ALWAYS a long line at this place.

The sign posted on the door said that no credit cards are accepted, just cash.  They did however have an ATM conveniently located inside the establishment.  When I saw this sign I was thankful that we had cash on us, because we don't use an ATM card and we had a credit card.  To think that I would have stood in line for 1 1/2 to be denied the beloved donut would have been beyond irritating.

The inside of Voodoo is quite a sight.  With the blaring music, employees yelling out crazy names of donuts and the smell of the donuts had all your senses at their peek.  We quickly picked out our donuts from the display case that was twirling about.  I felt pressured to make a decision quickly as I knew there were tons of people outside in heat trying to make there way in. We finally paid our bill and headed outside to taste these creative looking donuts.

The family favorite
This was the best apple fritter I have ever had!
I will say that these are amazing donuts!  They tasted really good! Would I go and wait in line again to get them, probably not any time soon, but I am glad that we had the experience :-)


4 comments:

Peter and Nancy said...

Fun post! Those kind of "icons" are often places we take out-of-towners to, but don't go to ourselves. Glad you got to go . . . and that you had cash on hand!

I was thinking about you today -- on the radio, I heard that the Pacific Northwest is the most unchurched area of the US, and wondered if that's your perception too. Interesting.

Hugs to all the donut lovers,
Nancy

Julie & Patrick said...

Now I'm drooling! We talked about visiting VooDoo donuts while there at India fest. With that long of a line, I'm glad we passed...we pretty much only have our credit cards on hand :( What a disappointment THAT would have been!

Glad you had fun....bacon on a maple bar....hmmm, guess it is a complete breakfast in one bite :P

Julie

Fenwick 5 said...

WOW what a wacky fun donut place!! We like them too,but I gotta stay away from sugar:( Can't wait to see your India Fest pictures!! I seen some on Julie's blog.:) Gidget

No Greater Love said...

Those donuts do look yummy! They are definitely creative! :) My kids would love those fruit loop ones.