Monday, September 05, 2011

Berry Picking

This summer we tried to make up for last summers lack of berry picking.  This year we picked strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, marionberries, and blackberries.  Our freezer is now full of frozen berries for smoothies, cobblers, and lots of freezer jam.

I am always amazed when I enter a berry field to see how the rows of berries seem to continue for miles.  You are unable to see the end of most rows until you walk half way down them.  As I pick each individual berry I am reminded of how amazing God is.  His creation is really a beautiful thing.  To see how every berry is made so differently from the other, whether it be size, color, shape, the vine it is picked from, some with thorns, some from small bushes, it all brings me back to God's creativity.  There is just something about being out in a berry field with the sun beating down on your back as you pick berries that makes me happy and thankful.

Our boys are amazing berry pickers.  They do such a wonderful job and are fast, too.  Alesha, enjoyed playing in the dirt mostly and running up and down the rows.  She did pick some berries, but doesn't like the taste of any of the berries, except for a possible blueberry hear and there :-)


Alesha, loved to pick off each micro berry from the marionberry.  This kept her busy for quite some time.

Just a small amount of our berries picked that day.

This is what happens when one washes their hands with berries.

Blueberry field at the beginning of our picking day

Martin giving a high five after Alesha picked a berry and put it in his bucket.

Alesha helping Luke pick berries.

I think she stuffed in her mouth as many berries that would fit :-)

3 comments:

Peter and Nancy said...

You are a very ambitious mama! What are marionberries? I have never heard that word before! I'm sure your kids will have great memories of these days -- I can remember picking cherries each year with my mom. :o)
Nancy

Fenwick 5 said...

Looks like a yummy berry day!!:) Just posted summer pictures!! Even my first photo shoot with the kids!!
Gidget

No Greater Love said...

That looks fun! And a freezer full of berries sounds delightful! We are hoping to go raspberry picking in 2 weeks!!!