Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad

Today, March 11th marks my dad's birthday. He would have been 61 years old today. This day is always difficult for me even after almost 16 years. He passed away September 21, 1993, just 4 days after my birthday. I think this year has hit especially hard as my uncle passed away just over a week ago. His funeral was last week. He reminded me so much of my dad in looks and mannerisms. He will be missed.

I have a lot of emotions that come to the surface when this day arrives -

* I am thankful that my dad accepted Jesus as his savior before passing away. It took right up until days before his death, but God is faithful to answer many years of prayers by many for his salvation. His salvation is a testimony that it is NEVER too late.
*Sad I didn't have more time with him after his salvation.
*I am thankful that I will see my dad again in heaven someday.
*Sad that he wasn't here to walk me down the isle when I got married.
*Sad that he wasn't able to experience being a grandpa. I know he would have been awesome. He loved kids and they brought the kid out in him.
*Sad Martin, Luke, and Alesha were not able to meet their Grandpa Jim.
*Happy for all the family memories. Vacations, camping, baseball, softball, water rafting, trips to Montana, barbecues, gardening, yard work, etc. We worked as a family on a lot of things growing up and have a lot of stories and memories to cherish.
*Thankful for my mom. She is such a strong and Godly women. She is an example to me in so many ways. She has show what it means to "love in sickness and in health, until death do us part" She stood by my dad and cared for him until his very last breathe. I love you mom!

As you can see there is joy and sadness all mixed into one day. There are many more things that are running through my head, but I would be here all day. In closing all I can say is that

I love you dad, and I miss you very much! Happy Birthday.

Love always,
Pumpkin

6 comments:

Amy said...

I can't imagine how painful it is to lose a father. Hugs to you today as you remember him. It is awesome that you will definitely see him again some day :)

Missy said...

Beautiful post, April. Thanks for sharing. :) It is touching that even in the midst of the sadness you feel in not having your earthly dad here for your big moments, that you are able to celebrate the big moments in his life...and look forward to the day you will see him again! :)

God's grace is so sweet...isn't it?

Peter and Nancy said...

I'm so glad that you know you'll be together again someday. What a comfort that is in the midst of missing him . . . Your dad's story gives me hope for a friend who is going through her second round of cancer -- I am praying that her story ends the same way.
-- Nancy

ColleenC said...

Oh April, sorry for the tough week of remembering. At least you can take some comfort in those wonderful memories though!

Sara said...

Oh, April, I'm so sorry for your losses. It's wonderful you have the hope of heaven!

Kristi W. said...

Hugs to you from AK. Thanks for sharing the deep, hard stuff with your blog people.

:)Kristi