Sunday, April 25, 2010

Painting Alesha's Room

It took me a while to get things moving on Alesha's room. For me, it was difficult to have her room completed before I knew I was closer to bringing her home. To walk by her room day after day and see it all done and no baby girl to put in the crib was more than I could deal with.

By the middle of March I had purchased Alesha's bedding and accessories and was trying to decide on what color to paint her room. I was talking to my friend, Hillory, and she said she had some green paint that she wasn't going to use and said I could have it. I am not a real fan of green, but there was green in the bedding so I got the paint and decided to try it out and see if the greens matched. I will say that I really like THIS green. It is bright and cheerful and goes perfect with the bedding.

The painting day began a little bit at the spur of the moment. I painted a couple pieces of white posterboard so I could get a visual....I am NOT a very visual person!! My husband and boys thought it looked great and wanted to start painting. The planner in me was a bit overwhelmed, because I didn't have everything ready. I had to run to the store and buy a roller before we could even start! When I returned with the ONE and ONLY roller that was left at the store....should have been my first warning of things to come.....the furniture was all pushed to one side and the males in my house were really excited to get things moving!




ALL the excitement and THEN.. IT happened!!!!!!


The look on my son Luke's face says it ALL! Yes, that is paint you see on the carpet...not on the plastic! This was ALL MY fault!! We had finished the first wall and I needed to move the ladder to cut in the base board on the next wall and forgot that I had my cut in bowl of paint on the little holder on the top of the ladder. You guessed it, April moves ladder and bowl of paint comes flying off and hits the floor. I was absolutely beside myself. Tears began to flow and I left the room and locked myself in my bathroom where I proceeded to SOB like I haven't done in a REALLY long time. I think that the paint spill was the last straw that burst open the flood of emotions that I had been holding in for the last several months. As I sobbed my sweet husband and boys who were shocked by my sobs sprung into action and managed to clean up the paint spill and today you would never know it happened. After I finally finished my mini emotional breakdown I continued to paint the next three walls that day and then called it quits.
After one of the wall was finished.

One of the finished corners. I still want to get letters for her name and paint them pink and hang them from some beautiful ribbon on the wall above her crib.



We decided to paint the entire room green. We had just the right amount of paint with some left over for touch ups later on as needed! I still need to get some shelves to hang above the dresser to put stuff on and I want to find some material to hang across the top of the closet and have it hang down gathered on both sides. These details will have to wait until later, but the majority of the room is done and we enjoy hanging out in there as a family and talking about our sweet baby girl.

To say that the painting of the Alesha's bedroom turned out to be a VERY eventful experience would be an understatement! The paint spill was used by God to help ME spill all the emotions that I had held in. It was used to have our family work together as a team. I stand in awe of how God provided the bedding for an amazing deal, we received free paint from a friend and it was a perfect match, and how my gliding rocker from 12 years ago that I used when my first son was born fits perfectly into the room. God is AMAZING in how he works out the littlest of details.

7 comments:

Fenwick 5 said...

So pretty and great for the clean up job by the boys!
Emotions can e so running wild these last several days before we leave,believe me I know. You all did so great on the room and I love green!
Hoping passports come this week! Laura got hers,:)now it's our turn for passport and ICPC to get to Dillon!

Peter and Nancy said...

I think every one of us had one (at least!) breakdown in the last days of waiting. It is such a roller coaster ride . . . I'm glad you had a chance to let it out.

Her room looks adorable -- we painted Anya Rashi's room a similar shade of spring-y green.
Nancy

Shad and Maggie Alsworth said...

It looks great!!! I'm glad you were able to make painting family time. It really does help older kids to "connect" with the process!! I just know that your boys are going to love their little sister to pieces!!

Bring on those passports!! :)

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing your breakdown moment with us! I feel more normal now as I was starting to wonder what is wrong with me with all of my crazy emotions these days. Yep, who says the hormones of "expecting" a baby make you emotional? Now we know it IS NOT THE HORMONES, but the nesting and anticipation that make us mommies a little cookoo:)Beautiful, sweet room! I'll try to post ours soon, too...

theheartofachild said...

The room is just perfect! Love the green too!! Yes, a good cry is very cleansing! You cleaned your heart/emotions out as the boys cleaned the spill:-) Praying for Alesha's passport this week!!
Jenny

Julie & Patrick said...

I understand waiting to prepare the room. We did too, and for the very same reasons.

The room looks great. I, for one, love GREEN. We painted Devi's room like this too. It is always so cheerful to go in there.

As others have mentioned....the emotional outburst always seems to happen right before....sort of like emptying out that emotional closet to prepare for the emotional event that is about to happen.

Looks like you are all ready now!

Julie R

Eric and Cheryl said...

I love her room! I don't think I told you this but I almost purchased the same exact bedding at a second hand sale for Adia, but then we decided to not do the crib. Those breakdowns are so good for us mommies, Im still having them ;). Praying for great news this week, I might even be able to hear your joyous screams across the river. Love you and hope you have a peaceful week.